Monday, March 25, 2013

Chemo is Done!

My apologies that I haven't updated this blog. I've been keeping the updates on the Facebook page, but I am going to try my hardest to update this more frequently...


I finished my chemo on March 11, the hard part is finally over! I’ve managed to keep the majority of my eyebrows and about half of my eyelashes. I’m happy to say that most of the side effects have diminished, besides the brutal hot flashes. The tingly finger and toes, headaches, nausea, fatigue, and bone pain are all gone! I’m still dealing with “chemo brain”…I feel as if I have short-term memory loss, which can be quite frustrating!
I spent a few days down at Stanford last week repeating scans and a biopsy of my lymph nodes. The lymph node that was biopsied had shrunk too much to get any returns. I’m still awaiting results from the scans.
The next step is surgery. I head back down to Stanford Monday, surgery is Tuesday, and if everything goes well I should be heading back home Thursday! I will be having a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (expanders will be put in day of surgery). I have volunteered to be part of a couple research projects at Stanford as a way to give back to the breast cancer community. I will be donating all the tissue and lymph nodes they remove, as well as being part of a pain management project. If it weren’t for other women who volunteered to be part of these experiments I may not have been able to survive the cancer or been able to handle the chemo so well. I also will be donating any eggs I don’t use in the future for further research. I hope these projects will help future breast cancer patients.
A huge thanks for all the support, prayers, and thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment